Happy Friday! It’s been awhile, so I’m going to ease back in with a short post! I recently discovered two things: the tiered dress and POSH Boutique in Enid. Both of which I love! Fear not, if you don’t live in Enid – check out Olive & Oak online, they have similar styles of this dress! (TJ Maxx also carries this brand, so you might as well be looking for it next time you go!) The tiered dress is pretty flattering and right now, it’s everywhere. I put a simple Quartz Necklace with it (still deciding whether or not to make some for the shop) and a mint colored Rebecca Minkoff Purse, which is my new obsession! And you can’t overlook those awesome shoes either, which I got from Target…. a little crazy right? Or not, Target surprises me every day! (Err, not every day, because I live an hour from the closest one) Where to shop: Similar Dress: LOFT Similar Shoes: Nordstrom Similar Purse: Rebecca Minkoff For information on the Necklace contact us at BindhiandBrutus@gmail.com
A lot of couples have hobbies together, like hiking, running and watching movies…. Daniel and I have a hobby together too—traveling. Daniel does all the planning, and I just read the times on the ticket and make sure I’m there on time. Living in Enid, I like to travel a lot. I travel so much that the people who work at a Chipotle hours away know who I am. (And I’m hoping to make Premier status on United this year! Yay for shorter lines!) Everyone has their own travel routine, and I am dead set in mine. Here are my travel tips:
1. Bring a laptop or iPad loaded (the night before – unreliable wifi at the airport) with 2-3 rented movies from iTunes. (Or buy a couple episodes of a show you haven’t had the chance to catch up on yet) Even if you think you don’t need that many movies… oh no, your flight just got delayed two hours…. Or your friend who was supposed to pick you up from the airport got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. No worries, you’re gonna chill and watch some movies instead of getting bored and freaking out via text message to your husband.
2. Bring a scarf. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, a scarf can act as a pillow, a blanket, AND a cute accessory. Also, if you get hot, they can be stuffed into almost any size of carryon—even if you’ve stuffed it to the brim.
3. Bring a few forms of ID. In case wherever you are going doesn’t believe you are actually a Florida resident, questions the legitimacy of your ID, and doesn’t want to give you an adult beverage. (Good thing I knew my old address)
4. Use a small cross body bag as your purse. No need to bring a huge shoulder bag with you as your purse on this one. It will help you organize what you really need for travel and it can easily be stuff into a backpack or other carryon luggage. (Because I like to bring THREE carryons) Also, these are great for overseas traveling.
5. If you are traveling overseas to a country known for pick pocketing, spread your money into multiple pockets instead of just putting it in one spot, even put some in your clothes pockets. This way, if you do get robbed they won’t get all your money. 6. I like to wear Toms shoes when I travel. They are comfy, cute, and durable. Also, if you wear sandals on an airplane, you will freeze. FREEZE.
7. Always bring a change of clothes, or three, in your carryon. You never know when your bag will get lost or if your plane gets delayed so much that you just need a change of clothes to feel fresh again. (Or if you want to impress someone when you get off the plane, no shame in that)
8. Bring makeup, a toothbrush, floss, deodorant, a perfume rollerball, and gum with you in your carryon. Need I explain? (Also if you get bored, you can try to figure out how to do the “smoky eye look” and maybe finally perfect it)
9. It is always good to have something to read on the plane if you can’t be using “electronic devices”. I usually always buy a fashion magazine to look through and have a book on my iPad. 10. Wear clothes that you can move around in to get to that perfect lounging pose on the airplane. I like to wear Ponte leggings with leather details, a tank top, a jacket, and a scarf. If I wear something with sleeves I will inevitably sweat through it and be very aware of my BO for the next few hours until I get a shower.
11. If you get stuck at an airport for awhile, find a Chili’s. There is probably a Chili’s. Get a margarita and enchilada soup. $15 later and you will be a lot happier. (Though if you get two margaritas, I wouldn’t blame you)
12. Find your gate, THEN go find food and magazines. I know, I know, there was a Starbucks right when you got to the airport. But guess what, there will also be one closer to your gate, and then you won’t have to carry around a steaming hot beverage while trying to balance all of your luggage, and trying to find your gate which is a tram ride and two escalators away.
13. Always try to carry on your luggage if you can. It is much faster, cheaper, and you will feel better knowing that your nice clothes are safe and sound and that the TSA agents haven’t gone through your luggage and disturbed the equilibrium that is your clothes packed in your bag, and then wonder how they got it all back in your bag without leaving something out. ….. Did they leave something out? Also, much harder for you to lose your bag if you carry it on. Here is a good clothing packing list that will fit in a carry on bag so you do not have to check! (After packing all these things, you will still have enough room for undergarments and makeup) I put my laptop or iPad in a back back, as well as my small purse.
1. Jean shorts (LOFT)
4. Striped dress (LOFT)
5. Simple solid colored dress (LOFT Lou & Grey and ON SALE!)
6. Fun Dress (A dress that doesn’t have to match anything, but that will just add something different to your travel wardrobe – I packed this beautiful green maxi dress from LOFT) 7. Basic tank tops (4-5 so you can have a fresh one or two if you can’t find a washing machine- I packed an orange, taupe, white, grey, and black tank)
8. T-shirt in a color that matches your accessories (I packed a rust colored tee from Anthropologie)
9. A fun shirt or two (what I packed)
– Free People Top (I packed a grey peplum free people top)
– Sheer Crop Top (Free People – I packed a sheer taupe lace crop top)
– Black Embroidered Tank (LOFT)
12. Jean jacket (LOFT)
15. Toms (I don’t have these pictured because, well, I’m lazy) 16. 1-3 scarves (And make sure one is especially soft to use as your airplane blanket – unless you’re cool and have first class tickets)
17. A simple necklace, or two for a unique layering style all your own.
21. Small or medium cross body bag
22. A pair of jeans – JUST IN CASE!
To get optimum use of all the clothes you pack on your vacation, make sure they all have the same base color. For example, what I packed in this carry-on I made sure all of my clothes could go with grey or black. I did not pack any navy blue. But if you have more navy blue in your wardrobe, use that as your base color.
Wherever you go this summer, enjoy your trip! And if you’re not going anywhere this summer, you can still look super fabulous and make some ethnic food!
Last week gave me hope. Hope that the weather would finally warm up and I could start wearing dresses WITHOUT tights. But today it is 10 degrees. TEN.
During the pre-ten degree days, I went into scarf making mode and took out my vintage singer machine. I love that machine so much– it is so beautiful. My cat loves it too.
Although more styles are coming soon, I could not wait to post a blog about these awesome new scarves. I even made Lyssa get into shorts and sandals to model them!
Infinity scarves are so easy to wear, because unlike other scarves, you do not have to do any work when putting them on. You do not have to figure out the best way to tie them or wrap them, you just have to twist it and put it over your head. Depending on the fabric, you can wear them with almost anything. You can put them with a t-shirt, tank top, dress, blouse, whatever!
This t-shirt jersey scarf is awesome for the summer and looks great with flowy tops and dresses, and would be great to bring to the beach! You can use it as a pillow while laying out, or dress down your favorite maxi when you go cool off with some froyo.
It is also great to wear now, while it is still 10 degrees.
My FAVORITE new scarf in the shop is this neon coral tribal rayon scarf. It went well with a surprisingly large proportion of my closet. Also it is so soft and the pop of color is much needed during these cloudy months. It goes great with navy blue, maroon, white, grey…I could keep going, for awhile.
All you need to make a cute summer outfit is a tank, shorts, and a cute accessory! So easy. The scarves are great for those chilly summer nights and an easy accent piece to travel with. (Or if you’re like me and you have to cover up so you won’t get burned)
Just find a versatile scarf that will go with YOUR wardrobe. You could go with a statement scarf, a neutral one or BOTH!
In case you don’t know how to put on an infinity scarf here is a little tutorial!
You can find these scarves and more on our etsy store!