I was kindly asked to talk about makeup, and more specifically makeup for Fall. I LOVE doing makeup, and enjoy trying new things. I am not oblivious to the fact that many people are better at makeup than I am, however I can share what I do know!
A lot of my friends grew up on drug store make up, however I became very addicted to Sephora at a very early age. This is the thing – my makeup lasts a very long time. Most of the time you are going to get what you pay for. Yes I am aware that there are some exceptions to that rule, (I heard drug store mascara is pretty baller) but most of the time, it is true.
These are my make-up picks:
1. Naked Palette – Ok, this is my ultimate favorite. First of all, there are THREE different palettes so they have one that will work for your eyes. They are the neutrals that everyone needs, yet you can mix and match and try new methods, even a smoky eye. There are also colors in there that you can just quickly swipe on and go in the morning. I LOVE IT. Also, I had mine for two years and didn’t even go through it all…. but decided that it is probably unsanitary to have makeup for that long. I currently have the original Naked and Naked 2. If you have rosy skin color like me, the Naked 2 palette is pretty amazing! It also comes with an awesome brush!
2. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil – These are simply the best. Easy to put on and don’t smear. DONE. Also, they have tons of fun colors if you want to try something new. As far as colors go, it really depends on your eye color. I tend to stay away from black because it is very harsh. Instead, I go with a dark brown “Demolition”. Also, I learned from Carmindy on What Not to Wear, that it is also fun to go with a color opposite from what your eyes are. I have brown eyes, so I tried a navy blue eyeliner “Sabbath”, and it really did make my eyes pop! On days when I don’t feel like doing much, I wear a copper eyeliner with mascara….. and found that’s when I get the most compliments on my make up. To try this, blue eyed people try blue liner, green eyed try green.
3. Bareminerals Bareskin foundation – I recently tried their new liquid foundation and I love it! easy to put on and great coverage. Also it is super light. I am not usually one to wear foundation, but there are certain times when you just want to look more put together, and this is perfect. I used to wear their powder foundation, but again, had it for so long that I had to throw it away and get something new.
4. Clinique Chubby Sticks – These are great for lip color. They are like a cross between lip stick, lip gloss and chap stick. Easy to put on and they feel good on your lips aka. your hair won’t get caught in your lips. I personally have Mega Melon, Bountiful Blush, and Graped Up.
5. Nars “Orgasm” Blush – Ok I blushed just typing that, I know, its awkward. However, simply put, its the best and can be worn on all skin colors. I found how important blush is – it helps to give your face definition.
6. Buxom “Brandi” Lip Polish – I was at the beach house this summer with my family and had to use my sisters bathroom on the reg to change and shower. Well, she always has the best stuff and so of course I had to try the lip gloss she had in her makeup bag. I did, and I love it. Just such a basic to have in your purse. Sorry Michelle! I picked the darker color in this for the Fall, which is pretty much the only change I’m making to my makeup regimen for the change in the season.
7. Urban Decay Eye Primer – This will help your make up to last longer. Not only on your face, but also in your makeup drawer. You do not have to put on as much and it will last all day.
8. Urban Decay Super Curl Mascara – I have a few mascaras that I like, but everyone is going to have their own opinions. I like this one and the bare minerals mascara the best. They don’t run very easily and it looks great. Also, the brush helps to separate my lashes. I usually love the Clinique mascara, but since trying it again, it runs so easily and is pretty clumpy…. and I don’t have time for that.
What I typically do in the morning is put on a light eye shadow color all over my upper eyelid, and then put a darker shade on the lower part of my upper eyelid. I then put brown eyeliner ONLY on the upper eyelid tracing very carefully along the eyelashes. Put on mascara, blush and either the Clinique chubby stick or lip gloss. Its easy and only takes 5-10 minutes. Unless your cat jumps on you right as you are putting on mascara and you have to redo it after smearing mascara all over your face.
Makeup should be fun, so try new things! You never have to settle on one routine, that is the beauty of it!! (Did you get my pun? Probably not, its ok, I’ll laugh at my own joke.)
Another fun idea is to try the Birchbox program, it is ten dollars a month and you get a package full of beauty products. And lets be honest, getting a package in the mail is a priceless moment.